Q1) In what way does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and convections of media products?
The genre we chose for our film is thriller with a sub-genre of action as well. A convection of a thriller film in shown in a specific scene in our film, where the male leads are holding a female character hostage, which shows domination and power. Other films that have influenced ours have been transporter and pulp fiction which are shows in the film. The hostage is held in the boot of the car like the transporter film and a conversation is held in the car which is off the main subject of the story of the film, just like pulp fiction. Comparing our opening sequence to another of a similar genre, I would chose transporter. The opening scene is similar because it starts off calm and slow with not much action happening, and then a big change to more action, transporter has the bank robbery and our film has the hostage and death and both are set around using cars. http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=8qcMQ7Db5ag

Q2) How does your media product represent particular social groups?
In terms of social groups, gender is the main one in our film. Men dominate over women throughout the scenes. The woman is held hostage, tied up and eventually dies, while the men are in charge all the way though the film. Again it is similar in transporter, a woman is captured and held hostage in the boot of the male characters car.
Q3) What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
We have used Warner brothers for the distribution for our film. We have chosen this because it is a big Hollywood company that can get attention to the film and put it in cinemas worldwide. Other directors and films with a similar theme and genre to ours have used Warner brothers, for example Guy Ritchie. Products can be made and sold with the films name with it. The car is featured a lot in the scenes so that it can be represented with the film, also t-shirts and merchandise like that can be sold.

Q4) Who would be the audience for your media product?
Our film is the type of movie that people of my age would watch. I think it would be rated at a 15 aged film. It is an action thriller and think it would appeal more to men aged 15 – 25. It is similar to films like snatch, lock stock and two smoking barrels and the transporter. The BBFC certification would be 15 because it contains drug use, strong language and violence. http://www.bbfc.co.uk/
Q5) How did you attract/address your audience?
We did questionnaires and ask people about the types of films they see and If they would watch our film. It is rated at a 15 certificate because of the nature of the film, it has strong language, violence and criminal activity that men would rather be interested in watching rather than women. Some scenes are disturbing to people under the age of 15, the scenes of the girl been held hostage and the final scenes of her dying would shock younger viewers.
Q6) What have you learnt about technology from the process of constructing the product?
We had to learn how to use the camera’s at the start of the course. I had not really used a video camera much before and didn’t really know how to use the functions like white balance and how to edit the film. We did have a few problems through out the process of making the film. When we were filming in the car it was hard to get the shot steady. We resolved this problem by putting the camera on a tripod and fixing it securely into the seat. Another problem we had was the shot from the boot of the two characters opening the door, we resolved this by putting the seats down and sitting in the back to make more room. We had to a problem when using white balance in the kitchen scene, when we panned across it changed the lighting because of the artificial light changed to natural lighting from the windows. It was the first time I had used imovie and after been shown the basics I had grasped how to do it, it helped a lot in the making of our film, it made the film better with how we could easily add music with the help of garage band and use effects and add titles to the film.
Q7) At the start of the preliminary task I didn’t really know much about filming or editing a film, but after finishing our main task I think I have got a good grasp on how to film, use a camera properly, edit and use the shots correctly. I feel like I am using the camera more fluently and producing the shots better than I was at the start of the year. Although I feel I have grown in using the camera I am better at editing the film at the end product. Kidnapped and the total final product I believe, is a good representation of how we have learnt to use the equipment and editing materials to make the final project.
This is a link to a video of audience feedback to our film -
No comments:
Post a Comment